The carb on our moredoor has been dicey since I got the car and seems to seep fuel everywhere. Obviously it needs rebuilding. Last week I decided it was time to get it done and ordered the kit online. Saturday after the parts arrived I pulled the carb and on a whim decided to install the one off the wagon. I had pulled it earlier this year since it's getting a V8 swap and had the carb soaked in organic detergent, cleaned it up, scrubbed it down then set it on the workbench.
I didn't know what to expect since the wagon has sat since the 70s which means there hasn't been any gas though that carb in forty-some odd years. But... the thing did its job and the Savoy fired right up. I took it for a test drive and the beast has more power now than ever. Obviously that other carb is really roached.
Sunday, September 30, 2018
Saturday, September 1, 2018
Our '63 Fury parts car (with 57k on the clock) was parked in Tennessee in 1996 and hasn't run since. When I got it, the 318 Poly-head motor (polyspherical “semi-hemi” heads) turned over but didn't have spark so I today I pulled the distributor, tossed in some new Standard ignition parts; points, condenser, rotor button and a coil and gave it a shot. Here's Uncle Crusty idling for the first time in 22 years. Since we didn't know why the car was parked and with carb being a crusty mess, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it ran after sitting for so long.
The motor is reserved for possible use in our '63 Savoy wagon.