Sunday, July 7, 2019

Weekend Update

Removed the Fury trim from the LF fender in preparation for paint removal. Then we'll weld up all those little holes.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Shop Update

Taking some time off away from the shop for a while to do other stuffs. The nice thing about keeping this a hobby - no deadlines.

Other than old age and death. 😈

Things on this summer's 'to-do' list:
  • Strip replacement LF fender. Weld up trim holes. Prep for install
  • Fabricate patches to repair rot behind rockers (both sides)
  • Weld up the patches
  • Install LF fender
  • Remove tailgate from wagon for repair
  • Prep for engine block removal from wagon (remove hood, unbolt block from trans, etc)
Take care and enjoy your summer!

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Growing Restless

“Let's go for a ride. Let's cruise.” ― Stephen King, Christine.

Saturday, May 4, 2019

What's In A Name

Unofficially I've been calling him Mr. Stein (put together with parts from other cars) but last night I finally decided on a name for this car I'm working on. Given the fact that I only bought it in the first place because it was identical to my first car that I bought back in 1977, just before the epic blizzard. Complete with the same damage to the right front fender.

So with that, I dub thee... Faded Memories. Which I will eventually letter on the deck lid.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The Ghoul, January 23, 1949 – April 1, 2019

Ron Sweed aka The Ghoul aka Our Fearless Leader. Saturday late-night B-movie horror host and 1970s Cleveland icon.

RIP sir and thank you for the strange trips and warped memories.

Monday, April 29, 2019

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Weekend Update

Got things just about wrapped up and I'm almost ready to install the replacement fender. Got the fan housing patch panel welded in and painted. Replaced the RF shock and cleaned up a couple pounds of country road dirt while I was at it. The fender got some paint up front (blue around the headlights and flat black below the splash pan) in areas that will be hidden after assembly. I also installed the turn signal housing, checked its electrical connections and ground and removed some old factory rust proofing as well. The rest of fender will remain unpainted until after leading is done later this year.

Sunday, March 24, 2019


When you have a list of things you want to accomplish at the shop but vistors stop by and nothing gets done.

That was today.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Short Progress Update

Getting ready to do some more patching. This has to be done before the new fender can be installed.

Friday, March 1, 2019

Summer of 79

A typical Friday or Saturday summer night: Cruise State Street from Perry Square to the Public Dock, circle around and repeat the loop. Later in the evening, you could hop on Route 5 and drive to the New York state line for a case of "refreshments" (to save for later of course) then head back, stopping at Shades Beach with your friends.

 That was the summer of '79 in Erie, Pa.

(Legal drinking age in Pa. at the time was 21 while 45 minutes east in New York state it was 18. And those road trips... they were memorable.)  😏

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Photographs & Memories

Got a new camera recently... ok, I got a new phone. But the only real reason I really wanted it was for the camera features. Sad though, I've got an old digital SLR and a bag full of lenses and this thing beats the snot out of it for resolution and ease of use. And I can't help but laugh a little when I recall my first camera as a kid, a Kodak Instamatic model 104 that took 126 cartridge film and flash cubes. It was the camera I used on our first trip to Florida in the early 70s and I took pictures of everything, wearing my folks out with requests for more film. Thinking back? If I'd had access to this technology back then? Oh man, the fun that would have been had!

Anyway. Here's a shot I took Saturday afternoon. I do like its performance in situations where the lighting and levels are less than optimal.

One of my first Kodak Instamatic photos
Christmas vacation with my grandparent's in Fort Myers, Florida - December 1971

Monday, February 4, 2019

Taking It Off

Self explanatory. Have some cleanup work to do while we're at this state including removing the rotted splash panel and installing a new shock while it's exposed and easy to access.

Monday, January 21, 2019

Check In

Cold. Rainy. Snowy. Bleah. Popped in to the shop Saturday while running errands to fire up the furnace for a while and check in on things. Been busy doing stuff around the house this weekend.

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Metalwork Progress

Got the repaired turn signal pod fitted and tack welded in place. It's starting to look like something again!

Sunday, December 30, 2018

The View From Here...

Just posting a few shots of the shop while I wrestle with metalwork/shaping the deformed turn signal pod on the replacement fender for the '63 Savoy moredoor, Mr. Stein. The piece I'm working on was cut from the existing (rotted) fender since it was less damaged than the one on the replacement fender. It's taking longer than I expected since I'm doing this on my own and have never attempted this before. But... I hope to have it welded in by next weekend.

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Metalwork Progress

Two fenders. Both with collision damage to the RF turn signal pod. One's rotted. The other fairly solid. One can be repaired. The other folded like an accordion.

And so I continue my lessons in metal working. 👍

Monday, November 26, 2018

Now THIS is fun!

First passes with the plasma cutter. Freehand then with a magnetic guide. Cuts like butter. 😎 👍